Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Buying Art



Every once in a while I have some money to buy art. Not all art is expensive either.


I don’t care much for knickknacks around the house because my apartment is so small. I have a few stuffed animals that I care about for sentimental reasons and some special figurines, but that’s about it. Most are just toys that could be thrown away if needed.


One of my favorite artists regularly shows her work at Artomatic. Her name is Geneieve Lynn of Jade River Studios. I bought a Chinese brush painting of hers many years ago at Artscape in Baltimore. It was for my mom for Christmas. While I was looking at her latest exhibit, I saw some cute small paintings of Chinese Zodiac animals. There was one of a rabbit that I kind of liked. It was reasonably priced in the frame for $30. It would be a cute picture for Father’s Day since my dad was born in the Year of the Hare/Rabbit.


For my father, there’s very little he needs right now since my mom takes care of everything. But I wanted to get him a small treat. In the past, there have been cashmere sweaters, golf accessories, hats, fancy raingear, and ridiculousness. More than anything, a token gift is best now since his stroke. I think a cute bunny picture for an empty spot on the wall is perfect.


Art doesn’t have to be expensive and I’m glad I could pick up an original piece of work so inexpensively. (There are small fees the artist pays at Artomatic, but nothing like a gallery commission.) Sometimes, you’re better off going directly to the artist rather than through a gallery.


ps- If I hadn’t bought the painting, I would have had a No Spend Day yesterday. Hooray for Almost No Spend Days!



No comments: